A personal entry in honor of a very special young traveler, whose family I am honored to support.
Maddie James is 5 and 3/4 years old.
With family all over the world, and parents who love to travel, in her young life she's made her way across the United States and a couple of oceans.
She loves oceans.
But Maddie James can't travel anymore.
A month ago, Maddie was diagnosed with a terminal, aggressive brain cancer that will kill her before her 6th birthday.
Her parents, beside themselves with grief, have in these final days and weeks of their daughter's life made two priorities:
(1) to spend all the time they can with their little girl, making sure Maddie's last days are as happy and fun and comfortable as possible
(2) to memorialize their daughter "in a way that is worthy of their very special little girl. A place where they, and everyone who loves her, can go and remember her. A place where other children and their families can visit and make memories and learn about the ocean and its preservation."
Please, if you can, support this family and their sweet Madeleine Reese in support of their Foundation to raise funds for the Ocean Institute's Seaside Learning Center - which when completed will ideally be in the name of Maddie James.
- Press and Support: http://maddiejamesfoundation.org/links
- Maddie's Story: http://maddiejamesfoundation.org/her-story
- Caring Bridge Family Journal: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/madeleinejames/journal
- About the Seaside Learning Center: http://maddiejamesfoundation.org/about